Blandfordia Flammea Elegans (Christmas Bells)

Blandfordia Flammea Elegans (Christmas Bells)

London: L. Reeve & Co, c.1860.

Hand coloured lithograph, 285 x 240mm, mounted and framed. Artist's proof with notes to the colourist.

Australian Christmas Bells

An artist's proof, beautifully hand-coloured with detailed notes for the colourist and addressed to the publishers of The Floral Magazine, Reeve and Company in Covent Garden. This illustration appeared in the first issue published in 1861 (number 134 in the top right of the lithograph).

An artist's proof, beautifully hand-coloured with detailed notes for the colourist and addressed to the publishers of The Floral Magazine, Reeve and Company in Covent Garden. This illustration appeared in the first issue published in 1861 (number 134 in the top right of the lithograph).
Blandfordia Grandiflora (also known as flammea), now commonly known as the Christmas Bells, was named by the prodigious Robert Brown in 1810 from specimens collected in the Hunter River. As with many Australian natives, no sooner had specimens been sent to England than the demand from nurserymen for seed propagation ensued. In 1854, Curtis' Botanical Magazine sang the praises of what was "unquestionably the most beautiful and distinct of all" the specimens of Blandfordia. "The root was brought from the Sydney Botanic Garden (under the name of B.grandiflora) four years ago by Lord Walter Butler, to the Countess of Carrick, who presented it to Dr. Mackay. It appears to have been introduced to Sydney from Hunter's River...".

Australian Plants online

Price (AUD): $3,500.00  other currencies     Ref: #4504686