Share certificate for One Hundred Pounds…in the name of John Malcolm.
One Share of Bank Capital Stock. One Hundred Pounds. Registered in the name of John Malcom. Folio 105.

11 February 1836.

Share certificate, printed and completed in manuscript 116 x 190 mm.

A precursor to the National Australia Bank

An early share certificate for bank stock in the Commercial Banking Company of-Sydney established on 24 October 1834, opening for business on 1 November 1834 in a temporary office at 1 Colonnade, Bridge Street, Sydney (now 6 Bridge Street).

An early share certificate for bank stock in the Commercial Banking Company of-Sydney established on 24 October 1834, opening for business on 1 November 1834 in a temporary office at 1 Colonnade, Bridge Street, Sydney (now 6 Bridge Street).

A notice published in the Sydney Herald of 8 September broadly outlined the aims of the proposed bank: to afford the community at large greater facilities in the transaction of money matters, to discount at least three times a week, to put to better use the unemployed capital then present in the control of the London-based banks, and to assist trading and agricultural interest. On 16 July 1835 the bank commenced business in new premises in George Street near King Street, and the first branches were opened at Maitland, and later at Windsor and Goulburn. The Bank grew to service the expanding pastoral and farming industries of the then Colony of New South Wales. "The immediate success of the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney pointed the way to the future in banking; new modes of lending in cash credits, the importance of deposits attracted by interest as a basis for loans, the function of branch banking..." (Butlin, p 241). This proved to be a model that worked: in 1982 the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney merged with the National Bank of Australasia to form National Australia Bank.

Butlin, Foundations of the Australian Monetary System 1788-1851.

Price (AUD): $1,800.00  other currencies     Ref: #4504556